Thread: Foul or Out?
View Single Post
Old Tue Aug 24, 2010, 10:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MigoP View Post
I notice a lot of people who think reading the rules is insulting. How else do you back a call without the book. I see a lot of opinions and theories used as valid explanations. I see no rule book fact to confirm these opinions. I also see no rule book facts cited by these folks to counter rules I cited, just opinion. One gentleman even says , I know its not in the book but someones word is good enough for me. Even when I tell you where to find the published ruling. It's in the book but I'm going with what someone said. Wow. If you find it insulting to actually read the rules and cite rules to confirm a call then I can see why you're having a problem. Once again you say I used 2 different rules that apply to different situations. I"ll ask again what rules are we talking about. Can you cite them and the differences? I really don't think your opinion will carry much weight without fact. The subject has never changed. No one has given any credible evidence to counter clearly published rules I cited. I'd like to see them so that if I'm missing something in the book I can correct my mistakes and get better. It's a Rules book not an Opinion book.
I have followed this thread quietly, as I had little to offer and didn't want to seem to be "piling on."
However, your arrogance is more than starting to try my willingness to give you the benefit of the doubt.
Many of the rulings that one gets, are not so clear as you are demanding.
One good thing that I see in you is that you seem to have a desire to be able to back up a decision by written rule, good.
Point for you.
One really bad thing, is that you are trying to confuse the issue by misapplying the rule book, trying to stitch together two different rules to support your preconceived notions.
Point against you
That leaves you open to an overturn on appeal for misapplying the rules.

I don't think I have missed anything in the thread.
No one has told you to blindly accept their rule interpretation. They have told you the best information that they had.
Some rule interps do indeed change over time.
That is why there is a casebook, but even then not all situations can be clearly covered in print.

Since you like to reference OBR, have you ever seen a OBR casebook? I hardly think you have as not many of us have.
Never the less, even there in the "holy grail" there are things that pop up that are not covered in print.
Been there, done that.

If you want to be a good umpire, which I am willing to allow that it seems that this is what you truly want..........
You are going to have to learn to recognize who has been around long enough to know what they are talking about,
And,
Who speaks with authority.

I am a member of the National Indicator Fraternity, ASA-USA Elite, and ISF. So, I have been around, attended more camps, schools and evaluations than I care to try and count. I have also worked more than 3 dozen Nationals.
Saying that, I don't set myself as an authority. You see, I have booted some calls that in afterthought were no brainers.
BUT, I listened to those who had gone before me. I learned and hopefully I have never made the same mistake again.

I agree with Irish, not because I know him but rather because I know who he is and how hard he has worked to advance us as umpires.
ASA couldn't afford to pay him for the work he has done, all on his own dime.
Mike is well known and respected by those people who write the rule book. I, personally, have heard the National Staff refer to what Mike has written and said. I had the opportunity to sit in on the rules writing committee a couple of times and learned a lot.

Similarly, I know Steve and have had the opportunity to work a Nat with him. I learned from him and realize that he has a grasp on the game and umpiring that I sought to incorporate into who I have been as an umpire.

Many others on this board have been "there"
I have had the opportunity to work games with some of these people, and to see that I really wasn't as good as I thought I was when I saw them work.

I am not telling you to be quiet, nor am I telling you to quit asking questions.
I am telling you that you need to learn to listen or you will be worthless as an umpire.

Arrogance hits all of us at one time or another, been there done that.
Remember, you may be the best dammmmm umpire in your league or area, but there is a lot of area out there to look at.
Do you understand the idea of a big fish in a small pond? Because in reality we are all little fish in a big pond.
We have to listen and learn in order to become a worthwhile umpire.
I love a good rule arguement, nothing is more fun than drilling it down.
But eventually, you have to learn who is the person or persons that you really need to trust.

The man who taught me the basics of umpiring when I was starting out told me one thing that gets me through situations where you find yourself.

Know the rule, that means the intent of rule. Why was it written and what is it trying to do.
If you know why it was written, you will understand how to apply the rules even when it doesn't seem clear.

Good luck to you.
It is time for you to let this go for now, step back and re-evaluate what you are doing and why.
Have you learned? Or are you more isolated than when you started out?

Remember, you have to be able to trust your partners out there, (us) just like you have to be able to trust your equipment.