View Single Post
Old Mon Aug 23, 2010, 11:38am
Official Forum Member

I'm with RadioBlue on the answer here, but I don't think the first situation is quite as clear cut. (Though I agree with the result in the specifics given.)

Suppose we have R1 leaving clearly early. The ball is caught with the runner heading back. The runner is about to the bag and the fielder takes the ball appears to accidentally get the bag and then clearly says "she left early" just after the runner slides in. In this case, I'd take the touch as part of an appeal timely made because her addressing me shows she new what she was doing and I don't think you have to make it clear while appealing.

Now in the case given, I distinguish the logic because it's still not clear an appeal is being executed. Since the runner is off the bag, trying to tag the runner may be just that, an attempt to tag a runner who is in jeopardy of being retired.

If instead of trying to dive back the fielder indicated that she was appealing before the runner got back, I'd be inclined to honor that appeal unless something happened to make them seem like separate events.
________
HooliganGirl live

Last edited by youngump; Mon Sep 19, 2011 at 07:30pm.