Thread: Interference?
View Single Post
Old Sat Aug 21, 2010, 10:19pm
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Possibly, but then again, I'm not running around and very likely just taking a few steps around the pitcher's plate.

It isn't a problem and it definitely gives the offense an idea of what is going on. After all, just because you think it should have been seen doesn't mean it is.
Thanks. I knew from previous discussion that most umpires prefer not to verbalize since it tends to make players freeze up, but it would be nice to see a signal even if for a couple of seconds.

IrishMafia: How well, I know. We had what appeared to be OBS in our championship game this year where R1 on second went to advance to third on a 5-3 groundout and was blocked by F6 who had his back to R1's advance. On what ended up being a bang-bang play at third, the umpire calls R1 out.

After the game I asked R1 why there was no obstruction called and he said that the umpire never saw it since he was apparently still turned towards first base when OBS occurred. But without umpires signalling it consistently, you never know what is or isn't seen as a player or base coach.

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball