View Single Post
Old Thu Jan 16, 2003, 04:14pm
Official Forum Member

In no specific order –

First and foremost have fun.

Remember that these are 8 to 10/11 year olds. If they are on the same teem the older kids will dominate the court so lookout for the younger ones.

Call the fouls but go light on the violations. If the pivot foot moves a little let it go. If they wonder in the lane tell them to get out before calling 3 or 5 or 10 seconds, depending on what your rules are.

Explain, explain, and explain again, what they did wrong. Get down on your knee to talk to them. Talk in a low voice to them. Until my wife, the kindergarten teacher, enlightened me I had some kids to crying on the court.

Don’t be afraid to applaud a good play and to make jokes when needed. “Hay #23 I know he is your friend but don’t hug him, OK?”

Don’t take anything from the coaches. BUT, don’t make a scene, go up to the coach and tell him to knock it off.

IF THE KIDS GO ON THE FLOOR FOR A LOOSE BALL CALL A JUMP IMMEDIATELY! Kids this age have no fear and someone could/will get hurt. Same with a held ball, as soon as 2 players get their hands on it call a jump.

And remember the younger ones at times get “lost in space” while on the court and have no idea what is going on.

HAVE FUN!