View Single Post
Old Thu Aug 19, 2010, 09:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp View Post
Assuming there are no other runners, taking the last runner to 3B should always be the BU's responsibility. PU should be preparing for a play at the plate. Priorities.
The play at the plate is over, hence the throw back to 2nd.

Quote:
But we're not talking about keeping what this association or that association wants. We're talking about what WE want as officials. So no, it's not a moot point.
ASA isn't concerned about what WE want as umpires. That's why it's moot.

Quote:
That can be dangerous if done with a truly inexperienced umpire. You'd have to pre-game it extensively and in an environment where you can afford to make those adjustments. Doing this in the finals would be bad timing.

Not to mention the fact that first and foremost, our main concern as veteran umpires tasked with bringing up the rookies is to give them the building blocks from which to grow. By starting off doing something different from the prescribed mechanics, you're not doing them any favors as a mentor.
You said we are not keeping what "this association or that association wants", so what prescription are we going by? Why teach a new umpire mechanics only to try to un-teach those mechanics later?

Quote:
Yes, and we should be ready for subsequent plays. Never compromise getting a good look at a play if it means getting behind the runner at your next play. It may work for 9 out of 10 plays, but it's that 10th play that'll bite you in the @$$.
So the next "possible" play is more important that the one right in front of us. Interesting!

Quote:
Yes, the PU and BU are a team. And it's a team that works in priorities. As far as I'm concerned, the priorities on the bases start with home plate and work their way backwards. This is why the BU takes the trailing plays at 3rd, as well as the last runner or batter-runner. A blown call at 2nd or 3rd doesn't sting quite so badly as a blown call at home plate.
I'm sorry, but I'm not sure what this means.

Quote:
Won't even touch this one with a 10 foot pole, especially considering there are involved parties present on this board.
To say that I am sorry if I offended anyone would be disingenuous. And no, I am not an "involved party".