View Single Post
Old Wed Aug 18, 2010, 11:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
Thanks everyone. We're having a rules committee meeting in a few days and a Board meeting next week. If anything interesting comes out of all this, I'll post it.

If I had to bet (Tim Donaghy, are you listening?), I'd say we're probably going to allow the HC to request a TO from the bench in grades 5 and up but leave it the way it is in grades 3 and 4. Other things we're considering include reducing the number of timeouts allowed (we only have the gyms for a certain amount of time and games have been running long), having the 6th grade boys use a 30" ball instead of a 28.5" (and keeping 3rd thru 5th boys with the "small" ball) and allowing a coaching box at all grade levels, which is something we've never allowed in over 30 years. I don't think that last one is going to get anywhere.

Do you use a running clock? We have in our 7th-8th grade league for 12 years (10 minute quarters, 5 time outs, clock stops for the last 2 minutes of the 4th quarter only) and games take right around 55 minutes. Our lower leagues all have slightly different clock rules, but I think all will be changed to match this season. I am toying with the idea of reducing the timeouts to 4 (2 full, 2 30).
Is there any special reason for moving the 6th grade boys to the 30" ball? It really isn't an option for us due to our larger travle organizations all using that size ball, but I was just wondering what the thinking is behind the change.
One of my board members is an official (and also a former high school coach) and his project this year is training our high school-aged referees and he also helped me revamp our code of conduct.