View Single Post
Old Tue Aug 17, 2010, 08:29pm
Official Forum Member

The basics I have always followed is to watch the ball into the mit. Lower level ball, it is probably better to concentrate more on the location than the total picture because of the inexperience of the catcher and because your probablby using a bigger stike zone for that level.

Higher level, VHS and above your using all the tools to get as much information as possible to get a solid consistent zone. And whether you want to believe it or not the benches get some indication of the pitch from how it is caught. A catcher straight up center on the plate usually, can't catch a fastball just below the knee for a strike , without turning his glove over. Is it a strike? Maybe? It probably doesn't look that way though. Up in front of his mask is probably a ball, along with any thing outside his shoulder width.

Not hard fast one's but, little tools or indicators I have used to help me stay consistent. Catcher sets up inside and pitcher throws outside corner. Ball or Strike? A duce catches the front part of the plate/corner and is caught outside. Ball or strike?

You decide but, for sure, if your truly calling what only crosses the plate and passes through the straightup stike zone, I suggest that at more advanced levels of ball, you may consider more tools to help make your decision or your in for some long and noisy games. JMO