View Single Post
Old Thu Aug 12, 2010, 09:47am
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reffing Rev. View Post

Here are the arguments in my head:
1. If he ran to the one and fumbled it back its a safety/touchback, so when the fumble left the end zone the momentum exception was cancelled, and the force is either the fumble or the muff of a grounded fumble.
I'm having a very difficult time following your post so I will address this.

The only force you need to consider is B1 carrying the ball across the goal line and into the endzone.

While the ball is in the endzone, no new force can be applied no matter what happens. The ball could be muffed 25 times, illegally kicked and batted in the endzone and the force that put the ball in the endzone would be B1 carrying the ball across the goal line.

As the Rule says, force is only a factor going INTO the endzone, so if B1 fumbles in the endzone, the ball is muffed by A in the endzone, the ball leaves the endzone what is your original force at this point? B1 carrying it across the goal line. If the ball rebounds back into the endzone, what caused the ball to go there? By rule it was B1 carrying it across because effectively, that muff by A did not happen because it was in the endzone.

After all of this, the mometum exception still applies for the reasons SouthGARef states.