Thread: Brain teaser
View Single Post
Old Tue Aug 10, 2010, 12:05pm
Official Forum Member

Well THAT was laced with sarcasm. I'm not sure what I did to bring on such bitterness (other than my probably-harsher-than-necessary response to golf).

It seems that you are reading only parts (or perhaps remembering only parts) of what I (and others ... I'm not the only person on here that understands what "Is Touching" means - just most have given up) have written.

Nowhere do I state (in fact, 3 times I state the opposite) that this play is a TD, yet asdf continues to both insist I did and proclaim that I am an idiot because I did... But I didn't. I didn't say it... and I don't think it.

Asdf seems to want to insist this is simply a pass to someone out of bounds. By rule it's not. He also wants to insist that "out of bounds" is some sort of "status" that must be reset by becoming "in bounds". It's not. In bounds is not a defined term. Our rulebooks have flaws ... but lack of definitions is not one of them. If it's not there, it's not a term. There is simply out of bounds (with the word IS in the definition twice), and not out of bounds. Saying that an airborne player over the out of bounds area (or who had previously been out of bounds) is still out of bounds is contradictory to the rule.

Of significance is the exception you mentioned. NO WHERE does it say the player must establish himself (a basketball concept) back in bounds before leaping for the ball. It says he must "immediately attempt to return". As long as he's doing that, he's not illegally participating, and touching the ball is not illegal touching. He DOES NOT have to reach in bounds first (This is important to note... if the ridiculousness spouted by ASDF was true, he would, because his fictitious "status" would still be "out of bounds", which would then cause the play to be dead when the ball touched this "out of bounds" player. And according to caseplay (and thus ... with the "spirit of the rules" you and he want to refer to, because leaning on the actual rulebook is too hard, I guess) - the player MAY jump from out of bounds, catch the ball, and land in bounds for this to be a completed (and legal) pass.

I've explained THAT 3 times as well. I'll make it simple if this isn't clear enough:

ASDF's assertion that a player who was previously out of bounds that jumps is STILL out of bounds is in direct contradiction to the rule that allows this player (if he was forced out) to catch a ball from OOB and land back in the field of play.

Now ... can we dial back the vitriole about 4 notches and actually discuss rules and how they apply?

West Houston Mike