Thread: fair/foul
View Single Post
Old Sat Aug 07, 2010, 12:59am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan10 View Post
Phillies-Marlins Blown Call Costs Florida A Victory (VIDEO)

I've watched this video several times. At the 0:59 mark, it takes its last bounce before it gets to the bag. If you pause it right at the 0:59 mark as the ball makes its last bounce before getting to the bag, it appears to me that it is ON the foul line. It then passes the base and lands fair at the 1:03 mark.
Nothing we do not already know if you are talking about the last bounce before the bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan10 View Post
In watching this, I'm having a hard time believing that it could have hit on the foul line at the 0:59 mark, passed the bag in foul territory, and then landed in fair territory.

Thoughts?

And, by the way, you'll have to ignore the TV guys. They go crazy at the 1:03 mark when it lands fair. They're ignoring the vital part of the play, which is what happens between the 0:59 mark and the 1:03 mark.
I cannot say for sure. I will never say this was a right or a wrong call. But the reality is the umpire was right there and had a much better angle than we got to see. I do know that the ball does funny things and having been in that situation you can see the play much more clear than we get with the tape that was provided. And even if you had replay, this would have been inconclusive.

Peace