View Single Post
Old Thu Aug 05, 2010, 11:56am
Official Forum Member

Ok, I can give you a number of things that haven't happened, and then what I think should be called. I'll go with NFHS rules. I will also presume that after his leap, A88 once again lands OOB - otherwise, this is an easy call.

1) The ball has not gone out of bounds. 2-29-1 does not include airborne A88 in its definition of OOB, and thus 2-29-3 (which covers the loose ball) does not apply.

2) A88 has neither caught (2-4-1) nor passed (2-31-1) the ball. Passing requires player possession (2-34-1), which requires a catch here, which requires coming back to the ground inbounds with the ball.

3) Nor has A88 batted (2-2) the ball, which requires slapping or striking.

I believe A88 has committed illegal participation for violating 9-6-2: "No player shall intentionally go out of bounds and return." When did he return? When he leaped into the air! As previously mentioned, while airborne he is by definition no longer out of bounds. I count that as returning. 15 yards from previous spot, replay the down.

For those who disagree, I recommend enforcing the same penalty with a different justification: 9-9-5 "Neither team shall commit any act which, in the opinion of the referee, tends to make a travesty of the game." This allows R to enforce any penalty he feels equitable.