View Single Post
Old Mon Aug 02, 2010, 04:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
It's a lot more complicated than that. I am a Little League volunteer who also happens to work games at other levels (HS, college, etc.). I teach at a LL junior umpire clinic every season and do what I can to make our umpiring better during the tournament season.

I do have the feeling that there are a significant number of umpires and others within Little League that think that anyone who takes money for umpiring should fall lower on the ladder than those selfless volunteers who do nothing but umpire LL baseball. And that, IMO, is a complete crock of crap.
I agree. I think 90% of us love the sport we officiate (probably more). However, many if not most of us who bother to put in the time to learn, grow, and improve would not participate in this hobby without some monetary compensation. And I don't think there's anything wrong with that. But what it does mean, is that the leagues that DON'T pay are really left with a good number of umpires that do not work hard to improve. I'm not saying there aren't great LL umpires out there... but I believe they are the vast minority as many of the really good ones stick to leagues that pay.

West Houston Mike