View Single Post
Old Sun Aug 01, 2010, 08:00pm
Veteran College Umpire

[QUOTE=Blindguy;687432]I think our local organizations should use some of our dues to help defray the cost of a real clinic. A clinic put on by professional umpires. Film of a live game (scrimmage, so umpires could be rotated) should be mandatory. I should get more for my dues than just a rule book at the beginning of the year. My opinion: There is not one single thing that would improve ones performance more than film of a live game. [QUOTE]

Every October there is a clinic in Central Illinois that limits enrollment to 30. Participants are video taped umping plate and bases in a Junior College round-robin Fall tournament. Umpires are rotated in and out every couple of innings and get multiple opportunities to work. Critique is "voiced-over" during the video taping, and once the umpire is done on the field he takes his tape to another evaluator who screens it with him, taking in the on-tape suggestions and adding whatever he feels relevant. At the end of the camp, each umpire critiques the camp, the instructors, and gets to take his video home. All of the instructors are either Minor League umpires, former Minor League umpires, or strong D-1 umpires with many years of experience.
It would be great if there could be a clinic of this value in every state in the union.

JJ