Thread: Ejection ...
View Single Post
Old Fri Jul 30, 2010, 08:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
You're right, and tref's statement, as I read it, is directed to the coach. If I'm reading it wrong, then I agree with you. However, the point is there's no prescribed wording for notifying the coach, nor is there anything that prevents us from asking the question, "is #5 the sub for #11" prior to stating, "that's 5 on #11."

I guess it seemed obvious to me that tref was simply proposing alternate wording to the notification rather than suggesting we speak to the basketball gods and assume coach hears us.
This has been a silly arugment. tref offered a perfectly valid way of dealing with the situation.....not just tell the coach #11 has 5 but wrap it up into asking if the already present sub is for the player who has just fouled out.

In fact, it does something beneficial vs. just telling the coach "#11 has 5 fouls". It moves the topic directly to getting the sub into the game reducing the chance the coach will say something. It has shifted that information into a secondary part of the exchange with the status of the sub being the focus. Sure, the coach can still choose to say/do something that will draw a penalty...can't stop them all. But, it is a lot less likely than telling the coach the player has fouled out and waiting for him to tell you the sub that is already at the table is the replacement.