Thread: Ejection ...
View Single Post
Old Thu Jul 29, 2010, 06:51pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
And if the coach continues to complain after you tell him "I hear you, coach"...as the coach in Billy's sitch did....what then do you and the others do next? Warn him again? Ignore him?
There is a difference between (i) "I hear you, coach" with no stop sign signal and (ii) "That's enough coach" with a stop sign.

IF the head coach were to continue after the official saying "I hear you, coach", THEN appropriate action would be taken by the official.

The sign of a fantastic official is to diffuse a situation so that it doesn't blow up. There was no opportunity of that happening in the OP.

There's a quote in Canadian football that goes like this: "the official who, through the influence of his presence, causes players to avoid rule violations has attained the perfect relationship to the game."

Certainly the quote applies to coaches as well. And there's no reason it doesn't apply to basketball as well, including basketball coaches.

The official's presence is in what he says, how he says, and his body language of how he expects the game to proceed.