View Single Post
Old Wed Nov 01, 2000, 04:45pm
Official Forum Member

assignor/official

I currently am assigning and officiating. Have been assigning for 15 years and have seen and heard the pros and cons from both sides. I see no conflict as long as the assignments are subject to review by your Executive Bd to insure that the position is not abused to the benefit of the assigning secretary. I usually do not assign myself to a set schedule but use myself to "fill-in" for cancellations and nights when we are short varsity (or other levels) officials. I do some post season but am not eligible to go to the state level from our organization due to the position as assigner. it is an advantage for the assigner to be an active official. It gives me the credibility I need to deal with officials and school administration. Our varsity assignments are done utilizing Arbiter and we do not "tweak" them after the auto assign.
As long as the assigner has credibility and the personal standards to not abuse the position I think it works well.

If the coach is coaching another sport, I see no problem with them being members. We have one Varsity coach who is a member but he is limited to late season JH and Rec level because of his coaching responsibilities. I would strongly oppose him being elected to an office for the obvious conflicts of interest and do not think that the membership would allow it. A BB coach is going to be a part of the officials group for one reason, What he thinks he will get out of it on the floor on game night!!!