View Single Post
Old Mon Jul 26, 2010, 11:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by umpharp View Post
The coach then said, "he never touched third." I didn't say anything and waited a second for the coach to say those magic words, but he never did. He told me I was wrong and we went on our merry little way for the rest of the game.

Did I get the call right?
If the coach had appealed, should I have honored the appeal? The team had already went into the dugout, but it was right after I made my ruling that the run counted that the coach came out to discuss the play.

I think I would have honored the 4th out appeal, but I don't know if that is by the book.
If the coach came out before the defensive team left the infield, he is in time
to make an appeal. What I am missing is what magic words you were waiting for; why isn't "he never touched third" clear enough to you??

I don't believe in magic words. The responsibility of the defense in making an appeal is to make clear what it is they are attempting to appeal; nothing ambiguous, no accidental appeals, but we don't even require any words when it is clear they are making an appeal (such as leaving early on a fly ball, and beating the returning runner). So, why are you expecting a very specific wording here?

To make it easier for everyone, I think I might have added "Oh, are you appealing he missed third?", then ruled R2 out on appeal, and disallowed the run.