View Single Post
Old Fri Jul 23, 2010, 02:27pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkumpire View Post
I saw your comments people, I am amazed:

1. In every HS athletic event I officiated in the 2009-2010 except for one wrestling tournament, I talked to the home school AD or Assistant AD.

2. Some of you are misunderstanding me, so let me try again: For SOME things, like game management for example, AD's have insights that coaches do not have, and officials do not have. For example, in the state I work in, who deals with ejections? The AD and principal. Who evaluates coaches and their work: AD's.

While the AD may be present, is he watching and observing ALL 7 innings of the game?

Answer: Highly unlikely

The AD might catch an inning or 2 but he/she is most likely doing "other" things while the game is going on. He /she is there but not necessarily at the field UNLESS his/her presence is needed.

Why should the AD have input? What does he know about umpire positioning? whether or not a balk should have been called or what OBS / interference are.

In other words theoretcially you could get an excellent rating from the coaches / AD BUT received a bad evaluation from the umpire evaluator

Why!

Even though the calls were correct and the HC and VC were "happy", the umpires were not in the Proper position. Yeah in today's game they "got away with it" BUT the umpire evaluator KNOWS that eventually if this crew or individual does not get into proper position it's just a matter of time before they get burned.

That's why in my answer to TEE, the FIRST "builiding block" HAS to start with the Umpire association.

The problem:

Schools will most likely NOT want to pay for an umpire evaluator in addition to the crew. These evaluators should get some form of compensation otherwise they would simply do games and forget about evaluating.

I like Bob J's idea on receiving the coaches evaluation, make the questions simple for them to fill out and do not make them ambiguous.

Pete Booth