View Single Post
Old Thu Jul 22, 2010, 03:44pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylejt View Post
I know some coaches that have been around the block, and can offer some pretty good information on umpires. I'll hunt them out, and seek information on my crews. Some coaches are actually umpires themselves, and have a different take on things, good or bad.

My point is that you shouldn't just summarily dismiss their input. 90% may be worthless, maybe more. But you might learn something from the other 10%.

As for umpires evaluating coaches, I do it all the time. I'll rate them on rules knowledge, game management, situational awareness, etc. I'm usually on the panel that evaluates them as All Star manager candidates, and my input is pretty highly regarded.

If you're in the "all coaches are rats" club, disregard all of the above.
I agree with you that coaches are going to have input. But I do not want coaches having input about mechanics and in some cases judgment. Now in basketball and football, if an official does something wrong there must be video tape to back up the complaint. Usually a complaint has to be reviewed by someone that assigns or someone that is a trainer and gets back to the coach on the issue. That does not happen in baseball hardly ever. I cannot think of too many games that are taped by the school as a regular practice. In football and basketball, they record many levels not just the varsity. So when there is an issue coaches can ask for clarification or show a clear misapplication of the rules.

I had a coach this year that wanted me to ask for help on a pulled foot while I was in the A position. I clearly saw the play, but the coach thinks for some reason that this play must be asked for help. The people that trained me would be upset if I asked for help on a play that I not only was close to but had a clean look. And for the record my partner could not help me as the play was not easy for him based on his angle. But this coach say, "You are one of those guys" because I would not ask for help. Must I add everyone left the field when he asked for this "help." Sorry, I do not want that guy who likely has not been coaching as long as I have been umpiring what I or anyone should do to get better.

Also we have had coach's forums at association meetings and what we have found is they are a waste of time. Because the coaches b@@@h about umpires/officials and do not offer much to help people get better.

You can have them, I will pass. And if I have anything to say about it, I do not want their input at all when it comes to evaluation. They will always have input in some way like ratings, but that is as far as it should go. And no I do not believe all coaches are rats, they are just coaches.

Peace