View Single Post
Old Wed Jul 21, 2010, 11:38am
Official Forum Member

Injured player w/ possession of the ball

I have a scenario that came up during a game I was a clinician for at a camp a few weeks ago. I've run it by a few people, but nobody can really come to a consensus on the correct way to handle this, so I thought I'd offer it up to the masses here.

A1 has the ball in her front court and dribbles along the front court endline. As she gets in the middle of the lane, she is trapped by B1 and B2 against the endline. Flailing of arms occurs (girls basketball remember) and A1 is inadvertently poked in the eye somehow. She instantly doubles over, still possessing the ball, one hand over her eye, and crying out in pain, and standing in the middle of the lane.

As far as I can see there are two realistic options (point out additional options if I miss them):

1) Officials time out for injury, team A gets the ball along the endline for a throw in after replacing the injured player.

2) Wait until A1 has committed a 3 second violation, and replace the injured player once the ball becomes dead.

Of the people I've polled, it's a pretty even split between options 1 and 2. I personally go w/ option 1, but I also get where people are coming from with option 2 in that they don't want to see team B lose the obvious advantage they have gained by playing good defense and having A1 trapped with nowhere to go and a violation quickly approaching.

What does everybody here think? Is there an option 3 I haven't mentioned?