View Single Post
Old Mon Jul 19, 2010, 04:52pm
Official Forum Member

How do you handle a fight?

This weekend I had a new situation. We had a hard foul going to the hoop on a fast break. My partner as lead calls the foul. Both players end up on the floor. My partner closes to the two players and is right with them telling them to stay cool and he had the foul. All of the players on the floor are coming towards the two on the floor so I continue into the crowd to keep things calm. One of the teammates on the defensive team then loses it and is trying to get at any defender he can. I get between him and push him back to the wall. He tries a couple of times to get around me to get at the other players. We assess the first foul and a flagrant personal to the player trying to fight and eject him. (FIBA rules, because there was contact even during a dead ball this is a personal foul)

My question comes after the feedback from our supervisor of officials who emailed me back after the incident report. He says that we don't get involved. I should not have pushed the one player out of the mess. How would you handle something like this?