View Single Post
Old Mon Jul 19, 2010, 02:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg08 View Post
I have also considered giving the coaches the evaluation rubric that we use to evaluate our umpires so at least when they see the evaluation form they might think..."holy cow, I have no idea on most of this stuff."

As an example of some coaches not having a clue...in the last two weeks, I've received emails telling me that they felt the umpire "screwed up"

R1, zero out. Batter hits a line drive to F4 who catches the ball, then attempts to double R1 off of 1B. The thrown ball from F4 rolls into the dugout. The umpire awarded R1 third base. Coach: "I feel that this was the wrong rule. Is this umpire judgment or something?"

Here's another one:

R2, 1 out. F1 legally engages the rubber, steps to 2b, but throws the ball to F4 who is nowhere near 2B. Coach: "Your umpire didn't call a balk. I thought he had to throw to the base."

These are the people who would be giving evaluations on my umpires...sorry, it's tough for me to seriously consider their feedback on how well my guys umpire when they haven't demonstrated basic understanding of some very simple rules.
This is exactly right. It's also why I think it's ridiculous that our state uses coaches ratings for post season assignments in basketball, among other things. It doesn't happen as much in baseball, but I have basketball coaches tell me things quite often that are flat out wrong, and these are the people giving evaluations/ratings. (Like the basketball coach last year who told me that you can't dive after a loose ball and slide with it) Additionally, some officials make it a hobby to schmooze with coaches on and off the court/field as much as possible, which can't hurt when ratings/evaluations come due.