View Single Post
Old Fri Jul 16, 2010, 12:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy View Post
This is my whole point - the official does not pass on a foul. The official determines the contact to be incidental in one instance, but not incidental, and thus a foul, in another.

We are not disagreeing about the final result of each play. I am still trying to point out your usage of the terms, and the confusion it can cause. The definition of "foul" is specific - it is illegal contact. We all agree contact could be illegal in one situation, and the same contact be incidental in another. But we cannot determine the contact to be illegal in both cases, but call the foul in one and pass on the foul in another.

It's a subtle difference, but it is important in how you communicate with players and coaches.
I think that telling B's coach that the contact in the first scenario was incidental, may get you into trouble when you call a foul on B for the exact same contact in the second scenario.

I always advise that I am not taking that advantage away from the other team and if the table were turned, they'll get the same benefit.

That approach has worked well for me.