View Single Post
Old Wed Jul 14, 2010, 08:11pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
What am I missing?
You're missing that A1 went up to shoot. A1 did not go up to do a jump stop. It's that simple, Mike.

If you establish a pivot foot before you go up and shoot(usual situation), rule 4-44-3(b) applies. That's true for both ending a dribble with a jump shot or a lay-up.

If you don't have a pivot foot established(as in after a simultaneous landing on both feet a la a jump stop), then rule 4-44-4(a) applies if a player then goes up and shoots.

In the OP, I don't care how A1 ended his dribble. I don't care if it was via a jump stop, a regular stop or if he stuck a landing off the parallel bars while dribbling. That's all completely irrelevant to the question that was asked. The question asked was what is the call if A1 leaves his feet to shoot but comes back down with the ball instead. Simple question with a very simple answer. Traveling.

All that matters rules-wise is that we know A1 went up to shoot. And we know that because the original post told us so. It sureashell didn't tell us that A1 went up to do a jump stop.