View Single Post
Old Mon Jul 12, 2010, 12:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kheisner View Post
In a close play at 3rd base team "A"s 3rd baseman put down his leg to block the sliding runner from team "B" as he took the throw.
Based on THIS, the above posters (and I) would have obstruction. You can't "block the sliding runner" AS you take the throw. As described (the first time), this is obstruction. 100% of the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kheisner View Post
As far as the obstruction ON THE ORIGINAL PLAY; situation was.....3rd baseman, ball in glove, leg going down, tag going down to runner, runner sliding into base....all at the same time. Runner probably would've been safe if the leg didn't block the base because he would've been under the tag. I've never seen this called obstruction. If a catcher makes this play at home, it is called a great play by the catcher. Why should it be different at any other base?
The deal here is that you've now changed the situation. The umpire has to judge one thing - did the fielder impede the progress of the runner without possession of the ball. In the original post, heck yes. In this, a little greyer. There's no "all at the same time". At some point - the runner was impeded. This point could have been the moment of contact... but it COULD have been earlier if the runner changed direction, slowed, etc. At THAT point, did the fielder have the ball. That simple.

And without piling on ... I too believe you kicked the handling of the MC (and just because you "lose" the contact because the runner was bigger than you does not mean you didn't create malicious contact.) He should have been gone. Don't be nice just because you feel bad for the kid or think it was not his fault. Regardless of level, time of year, experience, whatever.

West Houston Mike