View Single Post
Old Sun Jul 11, 2010, 09:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kheisner View Post
All, I had to share this with you....

Today I was an umpire for a 11-yr old "Rec" all-star tourney. In a close play at 3rd base team "A"s 3rd baseman put down his leg to block the sliding runner from team "B" as he took the throw. My partner the base umpire called the runner out because he slid into the 3rd baseman's leg and he never touched the base.

Needless to say team "B"s coach was angry that obstruction wasn't called. We assured him that this play was legal and his player was out.
Oh, boy. What ruleset?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kheisner View Post
Next half inning team "B"s coach instructed his 3rd baseman to "block" the base if team "A" tries to steal 3rd.

Team "A" runner on 2nd base breaks for 3rd base to steal it. Team "B" 3rd baseman sets up like a good football offensive lineman (hands inside; elbows out) about 8-ft from 3rd base and proceeds to set the oncoming runner on his "keester" as he approaches 3rd base. OMG!!!WTF!!!

My partner and I quickly killed the play and quickly restored order. I can still see in my mind the stunned runner on his butt and the 3rd baseman who was very proud of his great block!! Team "B"s manager was stunned by his 3rd baseman's action. Team "A"s coaches anger settled quickly, nobody hurt.

Partner and I assessed the situation. We ejected nobody, warned everybody. My reason for not ejecting the 3rd baseman came from personal experience when coaching "youngsters".
You kicked the hell out of this one.