View Single Post
Old Sun Jul 11, 2010, 09:47am
Official Forum Member

Grammatically, a case could be made for either time or timing, but the former is the baseball term.

The one that bothers me most is check instead of checked swing. Saying "a check swing" is like saying "a bake potato" or "a close-minded person."

But I'm an editor, and I can testify that even the Ivy League professors write, "This policy lead to a decrease in crime."

It is indeed hard to believe that anybody doing college ball would not know the rule for the OP. Many people don't know it, but it's in the rule book in black and white, and it's the same in all codes; you don't need J/R or Evans to figure it out. Still, I can think of several rules that I never fully understood until a few years ago (thanks to this forum). I can also remember a few times when I had to explain to a long-time umpire something that I had thought was common knowledge.

"There was one involving Cleveland a while back where they added the run back on the board later in the game."

And a few years ago, R1 had rounded 2B and was on his way to 3B when an outfielder made a diving catch. The MLB umpires called R1 out on appeal at second base and later admitted their error.

Last edited by greymule; Sun Jul 11, 2010 at 09:50am. Reason: adding a response