Thread: appeal play
View Single Post
Old Thu Jul 08, 2010, 01:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveshane67 View Post
if i asked "if the batter missed third base on a HR, would the other runners on base runs count" would that receive a cryptic sarcastic reply as well?

the reason i ask is bc i would assume the answer would be no, and that an actual response, maybe with a rule mixed in, would be given.
Your assumed answer is incorrect, so we would necessarily have to show you the rule (again):

Quote:
4.09 HOW A TEAM SCORES

(a) One run shall be scored each time a runner legally advances to and touches first, second, third and home base before three men are put out to end the inning.
EXCEPTION: A run is not scored if the runner advances to home base during a play in which the third out is made (1) by the batter-runner before he touches first base; (2) by any runner being forced out; or (3) by a preceding runner who is declared out because he failed to touch one of the bases.
If the batter-runner missed 1B and was appealed, that would qualify under exception #1 and no runs would score. But it was 3B that was missed, so this doesn't apply.

There were no force outs, so exception #2 doesn't apply.

The batter (who missed 3B) was the trailing runner, so exception #3 doesn't apply.

Therefore, score the other runners.