View Single Post
Old Thu Jul 08, 2010, 08:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
Unfortunately on this one, if "the umpire did not believe there was a valid attempt to make a tag", he was sorely mistaken, as there was an ACTUAL tag.

The arguers over there are insane sometimes. To me - our job of officiating includes telling people what we see when we see it. If we see an attempted tag, but no actual tag - we should tell them what we saw by at LEAST signalling safe. I don't like "No Tag" (or any 2-word call that includes the opposite 1-word call)... people don't always heare the no... just the Tag part. I'd rather just say no and signal safe on a play like this one...

(Well .. on a play EXACTLY like this one, I'd hope I'd actually call the player out!)
Mike, I do agree with you we are supposed to let players, coaches and spectators know what we see. Signals and verbal call's are to things we use.

However, "not liking" and "not using" are to me 2 different things. I also don't like "No Tag", however I do use it. I don't have a propper alternative. And if you stress the "NO" and lower the voice on "Tag" it dous sounds completely different from a stressed "TAG". Add the signaling to it and everybody knows...

I also use "OFF the bag", stress on "OFF" and low on the words "the bag". Followed with the "Throwing away"-move from the base. Then comes the save-call...
As PU I use "YESSSS, you went" on a bunt attempt, while pointing at the batter. Followed with the strike call.

You see, I use the "multiple word"-call's smart. As if they were one-word call's. No coach has to come to me asking what I meant. They mostly come over asking me if I can't get any help from my partner or if I don't need a white stick with a red bandage on it (Walking stick for blind people...)

Ik ben niet gek, doe alleen alsof! Gaat me goed af toch?