View Single Post
Old Wed Jul 07, 2010, 02:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngump View Post
Over on the baseball board, they are tossing around a play that a MLB ump missed. A runner forced from second to third was casually tagged and then while the fielder continued to play the runner advanced to third. The umpire made no call and then ruled the tag missed when the runner arrived at third.

Their argument now centers around whether the umpire believing the tag to be missed should have made any indication of safe prior to the runner reaching third. Thoughts for softball?
Starting the obvious: Baseball ain't softball. So umpiring one is different from the other. Though they have simmilar methods, it's still different.
Having said that coming to your question:
I don't have any problems giving a safe signal between the bases on a "failed tag". In the way I must umpire (subscribed by our board) is that I do have to indicate verbal the "Tag" or "No tag". Off course signalling safe with the verbal call makes things more clear...

Coming back to the baseball; I can't see the why. Why is there so much humbug about an ump making a call between bases? If there is a play, there must also be a call. Counterway there's apparently no argument for "No play-No call" on the bases? If there's no play on a base, the ump makes no call. Right? So why must that be different between the bases?

Ik ben niet gek, doe alleen alsof! Gaat me goed af toch?