View Single Post
Old Sat Jul 03, 2010, 02:51pm
Official Forum Member

Tough ending to game

Last at bat, visitor down 4 runs, 16 y/o state tournament birth on the line (LL seniors), 2 outs R1 on 2nd, 3-2 count, RH batter. Pitch is considerably outside. I'm PU and locked in on the pitch. If the batter made any attempt to swing, it wasn't enough for me to notice, probably because my eyes are tracking to the outside of the plate. I call ball (4) and batter tosses his bat toward the dugout down the first base line and heads to first. Several members of the defense are yelling that he swung at the ball. I'm thinking if he did, I missed it completely, but I can get help. I go to U1 (we had a 4 man crew) who bangs the batter out.

After the game U1 isn't able to explain his call to me in a way that makes any sense, so I'm thinking that maybe what happened is that the batter slightly moved his bat (outside of my field of vision) followed by a quick bat toss and U1 didn't know the difference between that sequence and an offer at the ball.

This was a put together crew of guys from different local LLs and I had no idea of the skill level or rules knowledge of my partners.

Could I have done anything differently, or do you just live or die with your partner's call when you ask for help.