View Single Post
Old Sat Jul 03, 2010, 07:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXMike View Post
Could be less for college with as many NFL and ex-NFL guys who are now supervisors there. Course after the NFL's experiment, they may abandon it anyway. As for HS, I don't think so, unless HS's go to 7-man crews. (And I am a guy who has advocated to get the U out of there for over 5 years)
I wouldn't throw away all the current Umpire mechanics manuals for High School, just yet. There is a real steep pyramid of talent as the game of football moves up levels. Although it's nice to think of each level leading to the next, there is an enormous step up in talent at each level.

What may be simply necessary and reasonable to deal with NFL talent, is likely overkill at many of the Collegiate levels, which are a huge step up from High School.

In Upstate NY we've been battling to expand from 4 to 5 officials, for regular season varsity games, for better than 20 years. I think we're getting real close to 5 finally being the standard,(which exists for post-season) but thoughts of going to 6, or 7 man configurations are little more than wishful thinking.