View Single Post
Old Tue Jan 14, 2003, 05:06pm
Official Forum Member

Not to change the subject too much, but does anyone besides me think that although the play in the Giants/49ers game was definitely too close to call uncatchable, for the purposes of not throwing a DPI flag for a reason, rather than by default, but that there was absolutely no chance that the receiver would have caught the pass, interference or not? Understandibly, it would still have to be called, but karmically, it seems like the correct end result.

I am not a fan of either team, so I think that I am fairly unbiased, and the player seemed to get tripped up on the turf or his own feet, as he turned, and eventually overturned, past the area where the pass landed, BEFORE he was contacted by the defender. The contact LOOKED worse than it was, because the defender grabbed his collar very clearly, but with the benefit of slow motion and a better angle, it looked as if the offensive player would have fallen on his back on his own, unable to react back towards the ball with any chance to make a catch, let alone a catch that he could have advanced to the goal line.

As for the Titans/Steelers game, I had no problem with the running into the kicker call, it had to be done, and Nedney DID do a great acting job. It even looked convincing enough for me in slow motion. However, as much as I appreciate the effort to get it right, I do think that a playoff white hat in the NFL should know if a play is eligible to be reviewed. I thought it looked and sounded bad when he sort of stuttered and stammered through the explanation of what he was doing, and why he had to call upstairs for help.

[Edited by 4 Sport Official on Jan 14th, 2003 at 04:09 PM]