View Single Post
Old Thu Jul 01, 2010, 02:46pm
Official Forum Member

jbduke - it's possible the Old Embittered One is simply commenting, in his own special way, on the fact that he finds your posts on basketball officiating enlightening.

Without getting into the middle of that particular cat fight, I would like to seriously ask what you feel Nevada did wrong? More than likely the article can be found on many different internet sites, most free to the average person. (I'm assuming we can find that article perhaps on ESPN.com, CNN.com, CBSSportsline.com, etc.) If so, then the appropriate fee has already been paid to the Associated Press. So, then, isn't the article now in the public domain? So he read this article, and then posts a copy of it on yet another free internet site, which happens to be this discussion forum. He is not an owner or operator of the site, or connected with management in any way, so he does not profit from any of the possible ad revenues, which are not connected in any way to the posting of that article. He also does not profit in any way on posting to this forum; he is simply a participant. Since it was copyrighted material, he did properly include that information in his posting, rather than try to pass it off as his own material.

Can you tell me how this differs materially from a student using the article in a school paper, and properly listing the credit, without having to pay a fee to the AP? I would think you could probably make the argument that the student stands to benefit more financially by passing the course and being able to get a better-paying job in the future, than Nevada does by posting that same article here.

Granted, I am not an expert in copyright law, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express. But I would be curious as to your credentials in this area, seeing you have made such a strong statement in saying Nevada is completely wrong in posting the article, and that the mods are wrong for allowing it. As we do in discussing basketball rules and plays, do you have any backing to your claim? What specific laws are you citing in saying it is wrong?

As much as I like a fight as the next person, I'm actually looking for facts on this. I have posted articles, and parts of articles found on various sites here on the forum. If I am wrong, I would like to know how, rather than someone simply telling me I am. No different than if I were a coach asking for an explanation on a call - I would rather know the specific rule involved, rather than hearing the official tell me, "Because I said so."

(Used with permission.)