View Single Post
Old Thu Jul 01, 2010, 11:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by procivil View Post
One of the senior members of our officials board gave me advice that Im not sure is a matter of preference or an established convention. In playing wing and back judge, I will bend forward at the waist whenever critical action is occuring right in front of me: eg a pass in the endzone, runner leaping across the goal line with exteded arm, etc. I think I am doing this to feel better planted and a natural reflex to trying to focus. I dont do it on every play, but it's clear that I do it in these critical situations.

Id appreciate your thoughts on this subject. Should I take my colleague's advice and eliminate it? or can I continue?
Personally, I believe you being comfortable in how you approach certain situations is far more important than how you might look to others. Unless your motions are truly outrageous, if they are instinctive and natural for you, and contribute to your doing your best work, I wouldn't worry about minute micro management, even if intended to be constructive. The fact you are considering the advice may generate some reactive moderation, which if comfortable to you, may be beneficial.

Although many try and force our craft into a rigid "one size fits all" the pursuit of consistency can become counterproductive if it extends into robotics or resistance to natural tendencies.