View Single Post
Old Tue Jun 29, 2010, 04:35am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Given the fact that this individual is a current HS and NCAA official, his comments are more likely appropriate. However, every person has different experiences and forms beliefs and standards of judgment based upon those. Since he has the experience of working the NBA game, then he is going to have some philosophy and play calling principles from that level in his mentality. It is that which may or may not be appropriate to have filter down to the NFHS and NCAA levels. Perhaps he is careful not to teach any of that to NFHS or NCAA officials, but since the poster cited a discussion of "RSBQ" and "continuation" (which are NBA terminology) that leads me to believe that there is some carry over. That makes me suspicious of his idea of "types of contact that warrant a foul" at the NFHS and NCAA levels.

I will politely disagree with your statement that "officiating is officiating" and I also don't think that "basketball is basketball." There are vast differences in my opinion.
All I am saying is that many people try to make these levels so vast that you could not recognize or be able to officiate if asked to work those levels at the same time. My point is that is not true considering that most NCAA rules and NF rules are exactly the same (contact rules are the same). My approach is exactly the same no matter what I do. And talking with this official I have realized that more of what we do at the levels I work is not that different. We just try to highlight these differences when basically what we do is the same.

Peace