View Single Post
Old Mon Jun 28, 2010, 03:39pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1 View Post
1) It's possible that I'm thinking too much with my NCAA hat on, and if so, I will bow to the greater collected wisdom of the majority.

2)Very simply, I take this to mean that the guard must have gotten to the spot of contact (his legal position) before the ballhandler left the floor. It's not talking about initial guarding position; that discussed in 4-23-4a. It's not talking about maintaining LGP, because that's covered in 4-23-3
It says he has to already be at his position before the ballhandler is airborne.

2) I can't honestly believe that the rule is supposed to allow any player to move under any other after one of them becomes airborne.
1) And your NCAA hat also probably tells you that there's an AR that says it's a block if a player with the ball stumbles over a defender who fell in front of him. Different rules iow...NFHS versus NCAA. My own opinion is that this is one play where either one or the other should move so that there's unified interp. That makes it easier for the officials like you that go back and forth between the two rulesets.

2) And the problem remains that the defender did nothing to lose that legal position on the court by simply falling straight backwards under any rule that I am aware of.

3) Is the defender moving under the airborne shooter or is the airborne shooting jumping into/onto a defender who is falling backwards? We all know that the defender can't move laterally or forward under an airborne shooter, but there's nothing stating that he can't fall backward. The act of "turning" to absorb the contact is legal, and that act will usually move the defender backwards slightly too n'est-ce-pas?