View Single Post
Old Mon Jun 28, 2010, 03:14pm
Lighten up, Francis.

It seems like I'm a minority of one here. It's possible that I'm thinking too much with my NCAA hat on, and if so, I will bow to the greater collected wisdom of the majority. But before I do that, let me give it one more try and see if anybody wants to agree with me. Here's where I'm hanging my hat:

Quote:
NFHS 4-23-4b: If the opponent with the ball is airborne, the guard must have obtained legal position before the opponent left the floor.
Very simply, I take this to mean that the guard must have gotten to the spot of contact (his legal position) before the ballhandler left the floor. It's not talking about initial guarding position; that discussed in 4-23-4a. It's not talking about maintaining LGP, because that's covered in 4-23-3.

It says he has to already be at his position before the ballhandler is airborne.

If we accept the majority view here, a ballhandler could make a terrific, athletic play -- jumping laterally to avoid a defender with LGP; and that defender could then run/slide laterally into the ballhandler's landing spot. You guys would say that's a PC foul.

I can't honestly believe that the rule is supposed to allow any player to move under any other after one of them becomes airborne.