Thread: Delay of Game
View Single Post
Old Mon Jun 21, 2010, 10:47am
Official Forum Member

It won't suprise some that I am now confused.
If Team A is shooting, there is only the requirement that Team B have two players on the appropriate lane spaces. Team A is only required to have the shooter on the appropriate "lane space". So if Coach A wants to talk to his/her 4 other players that is legal. I am not aware of that rule changing but may be wrong.
The NFHS Case book section being referenced actually allows for a free throw to be attempted by A1 even if Team B is not occupying the appropriate spaces (10.1.5) I am not sure what the difference would be between the team coming out of a TO or just huddling, would you still follow the procedure?
Also, the case book cites team "T's" to be given when team members are huddling and delaying the game. Again, I am not sure what the difference would be when a coach calls his team over and delays. Personaly, I would be inclined to tell the coach I need the two players on the lane. If they continue to huddle, I would be inclined to T the coach b/c it is now the COACH causing the delay and not the players. I would have no problem writing this up if it was their second "T" and had to leave. Any game video would show that the coach was warned and had opportunity to break the huddle. It would be up to THEM to explain to their AD/Principal why they didnt' comply with the officials request. Especially, if they already HAD a "T"