View Single Post
Old Mon Jan 13, 2003, 11:37pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
I think it is a good idea. I have attended many basketball practices but it was before becoming an official. When I ran Cross-Country in college, I often was warming up for my workout about the same time basketball practice started so I would shoot around a little with the players before heading out on my 8 mile run. When I got back I would watch the practice as I drank my Gatoraid and tried to cool down.

As an official you see certain things happen and you know there has to be a reason for it. Sometimes it takes sitting through a practice or clinic in order to understand he purpose in such action. What variations are there on a full court press. What are the different cuts? Where will the screens be set? As an official you have to look at each screen to determine if it was set legally. If you don't know where that screen will be set you could miss the screen.

I wouldn't go out of my way to find a practice. Sometimes just showing up early for a junior high game at a small school will find the varsity on the floor practicing. Just sit and watch for a while and enjoy it if before making your way to the locker room to dress and pregame.