Thread: Interference
View Single Post
Old Mon Jan 13, 2003, 10:29pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by lildani14
The other post was getting long so I'll start a new one. I was reading some of the examples and decided I'd try my two cents. Correct me if i'm wrong.

On the ball that the catcher fields and complains that she can't make the throw because the runner in in fair territory. Thats when the 1st baseman moves to the orange bag to take the throw. At least that was how we practiced to handle that in our games. Was that the catcher called outside and 1B moved to catch it.

I think in Sit. 1, runner would be safe by 1B using orange bag. Under Rule 8 Sec 2M. b.

On the batter in the batters box when a catcher is making a play at 3rd. I as a player will not move. Most of us will make the catcher throw around us. Is that interference? I don't move into her throw or anything. She just has to make the effort to get around me.

I think in Sit. 2, as long as you don't intentionally
interfer, ok.

Also at a softball camp this summer we were instructed if we were passing in front of a player who was to field a ball to make sort of a stutter step as we passed in front. Nothing huge, just enough to possibly distract though. Is that interference?

I think in Sit 3. It would be up to umpires judgement
or whether or not your actions were interference.

JMO's on you questions.

glen

Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.