View Single Post
Old Mon Jan 13, 2003, 08:59pm
Official Forum Member

The Officials in the NFL have taken some real heat lately.

There was the "blown call" in the Niner / Giant Game (Jim Fassel received a call from the League Office Stating such) and a very questionable running into the kicker penalty at the end of the Steeler / Titan Game. Also during the Steeler / Titan Game the officials did not know what was Challengeable or Not.

In Baseball, Umpiring is a FULL Time Profession. I'm not saying these men don't have anything else "on the side" but they are paid as FULL TIME Employees and get paid well at least the umpires who make it to the "show".

NFL Football Officials are Part Time and IMO with all that money in the NFL one would think that the Commissioner's Office would take a good look at the officiating and make NFL Officials a FULL TIME Position with a certain amount of schooling.

Perhaps with Full Time Officials with more training there wouldn't be a need for instant replay.

Being an Umpire myself, I sympathize with the officials in that the Giants have no-one but themselves to blame for blowing a 24 point lead. The Steeler / Titan call is a tough one to swallow especially at the professional level.

What's your view? Should NFL Officials be FULL TIME?

Pete Booth