View Single Post
Old Tue Jun 15, 2010, 10:26pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judtech View Post
As a fan of said stop sign, I will disagree. It is also acts as a visual reminder, and most people do better when they see something along with hearing it. It also takes away the argument from a coach that "I wasn't warned". Now if they go back to the game film/tape/8mm/video you will clearly be seen 'warning' the coach about his/her behavior and that will end the discussion right there.
Now, I am NOT saying that you need to give a warning everytime, I am just referencing the use/non use of the stop sign. On the downside, if you are a taller official, and the coach is a lot shorter, make sure when you give them the stop sign it doesn't end up at face level.
1. The argument from the coach that "I wasn't warned" is answered far more easily. I won't even need the tape. "Coach, we're/he's/she's not required to warn you for unsporting behavior."
2. If you need tape to back you up to your assigner, then either you need to find an assigner who trusts your word or your assigner needs to find an official whom he trusts.
3. Some people find the stop sign effective, I haven't. I've used it, and each time I've issued a T immediately afterwards. The coach is an adult, and adults do not like being dismissed with the hand.
4. If this is an accepted mechanic in your area and the coaches understand it as a warning, fine. That hasn't been the case for me in any of the three metro areas in which I've worked.