View Single Post
Old Sat Jun 12, 2010, 12:30pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherdreams View Post
If the nature of any game determines how many fouls are called then there shouldn't be 35+ fouls in every game.

And while good and poor officials can come in any age, shape or size. When the 2-3 oldest officials in our zone that I refer to as old school call all contact a foul. When you try to talk to them about adv/disadv. they says that's ridiculous all contact impedes someone somehow and that causes the disadvantage.
You might have 20 fouls in one game and 80 in the next. And sometimes that's true if the same teams play again but decide to change their defensive philosophies. The bottom line is that our job is to react. We call what happens at any particular point in any particular game...and hopefully we do so consistently. It isn't our job to make any kind of decision as to how a game should be played. That's up to the players and their coaches. Yes, we each set our own personal standards as to how how much contact we allow during the game. The key is to just try to follow those standards as consistently as you can.

You're using the world "old" when you should be using the word "incompetent". And being older than dirt myself, that tends to piss me off. "Old School" ain't necessarily "bad school".

What I think that you have is a philosophy difference between yourself and some of the people in your association. I really don't think that age or experience is that big of a factor either. That kinda thing is fairly common in a lot of associations between officials across the spectrum in my experience. And there's really not much you can do by yourself to change it. What you can do is stick to your own personal ideas and values as to how to call a game. If everybody disagrees with that, you'll sureashell find out in a hurry anyway.

The great thing is that you obviously care about the job that you are doing. Please, don't ever lose that care. What we do is a never-ending quest to keep up with the game as it continually changes and evolves.

As usual, jmo.