View Single Post
Old Sat Jun 12, 2010, 10:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
Unfortunately, the "game interruption" that they're advocating is a legitimate offensive violation. What you're doing is aiding the offensive team and screwing the defensive team. As BktBallRef said, that makes no sense at all. Officials are supposed to be neutral. What you're doing is a coaching function.

However, you really don't have a choice if your local association tells you to do that.

Silly monkey local association.

And btw, the foul count in ANY game is predicated on the play, not the officials. And I don't care what association you're in or where it is, some officials will call a tighter game than others. And age and experience doesn't have that much to with that either. As long as both (tight and loose) are consistent, there's not a damn thing the matter with that imo. The players/coaches will adjust to the officiating that they get. It's inconsistent officiating that drives 'em nuts. Your statement above about "old school officials" shows very little actual knowledge about basic officiating realities imo.

And btw, that term "game interrupter" is a pet peeve of mine. Every time you blow the whistle, no matter what for, you interrupt the game. A timeout is a game interrupter. All the "game interrupter" advocates are doing is advocating blowing fewer whistles. And that's dumb. You call what happens in that particular game. And what happens in that particular game is set by the players, not the officials.

End of rant.
I couldn't agree more. I'm young and definitely have areas I can improve in but . . .

If the nature of any game determines how many fouls are called then there shouldn't be 35+ fouls in every game.

And while good and poor officials can come in any age, shape or size. When the 2-3 oldest officials in our zone that I refer to as old school call all contact a foul. When you try to talk to them about adv/disadv. they says that's ridiculous all contact impedes someone somehow and that causes the disadvantage.

I am not near to being the official i want to be but I know who I don't want to be:

- I don't want to be the official doing a game between two top teams that get university level officials night in and night out except at an evaluation tournament and then having two of our local guys combined to call 61 fouls.

- I don't want to foul out 7 players in a provincial (state) final when those teams have played 3 times prior and had 3 players foul out total.

- I don't want to be the official making this quote: Coach: If you are going to call that then you can't play m2m defense on them. Partner X: Good - They figured that out 2 quarters ago. Now play zone.

- I don't want to be named in a report which was sent by one local coach to our association claiming that in 10 local games his team had players foul out 27 times while they fouled out 13 times in 15 games out of conference.

I'm not perfect, but I know from experience and reputation that our zone calls a tighter game then any other in our area of the country. As a result our kids try to adjust but the game just then gets called tighter and tighter. While me and other officials for the sake of consistency need to make the calls these guys are making in a given game. I shouldn't have officials telling coaches their kids are too rough and then having these same kids go to play road games and being told by officials they are too soft and have to play through that.

End of Rant.

Me: Thanks, but why the big rush.

Coach: Oh I thought you must have a big date . . .we're not the only ones your planning on F$%&ing tonite are we!