View Single Post
Old Sat Jun 12, 2010, 08:00am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherdreams View Post
I don't think this is a directive by anyone above our local level. As previously stated it supposedly helps us reduce game interruptions to hand the kid the ball and say you guys have x seconds to shoot (When its below 10). I don't care one or the other so if that's what my partner is doing I'll go along.

I personally feel we would have less game interruptions if our old school officials would stop combining to call 35-50 fouls every game.
Unfortunately, the "game interruption" that they're advocating is a legitimate offensive violation. What you're doing is aiding the offensive team and screwing the defensive team. As BktBallRef said, that makes no sense at all. Officials are supposed to be neutral. What you're doing is a coaching function.

However, you really don't have a choice if your local association tells you to do that.

Silly monkey local association.

And btw, the foul count in ANY game is predicated on the play, not the officials. And I don't care what association you're in or where it is, some officials will call a tighter game than others. And age and experience doesn't have that much to with that either. As long as both (tight and loose) are consistent, there's not a damn thing the matter with that imo. The players/coaches will adjust to the officiating that they get. It's inconsistent officiating that drives 'em nuts. Your statement above about "old school officials" shows very little actual knowledge about basic officiating realities imo.

And btw, that term "game interrupter" is a pet peeve of mine. Every time you blow the whistle, no matter what for, you interrupt the game. A timeout is a game interrupter. All the "game interrupter" advocates are doing is advocating blowing fewer whistles. And that's dumb. You call what happens in that particular game. And what happens in that particular game is set by the players, not the officials.

End of rant.

Last edited by Jurassic Referee; Sat Jun 12, 2010 at 08:04am.