View Single Post
Old Sat Jun 12, 2010, 05:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManInBlue View Post
Personally I love to hear coaches tell their pitchers and batters to adjust. The "he's been calling it all day," "Bring it down, adjust to what he's calling" are the right comments. Coach isn't complaining, he's teaching his kids to go with what's called and play the game there. It shows they're paying attention and it teaches the kids not to blame the ump for not "getting the call."

I had a team twice one Saturday several weeks ago and in the 2nd game I heard the coach say to his batter "He's been calling it all day. Swing the bat." It told me that he didn't have an issue with the zone, and that the kids should have picked up on what was a strike, and THEY need to do their job at the plate.

Your PU was way out of line (unless he had been hearing it all day and thought it was a coach - as mentioned in another post)
You got to love coaches that actually get it when it comes to the game.

In one of my first years, I got called in to do a college playoff game when one of the umpires had car trouble and couldn't get in. I get the plate and pitcher for the visiting team had a great cut fastball that he was starting inside and was cutting back over the inside corner. The hitters just kept watching it and I kept calling it a strike. The players were getting agitated by it, shaking heads, mumbling to themselves, a couple showing a bit of displeasure about the calls. Fifth inning I ring up, I think it was the seventh, called third strike on that pitch I hear "God dammit" from the 3rd base coaching box and here come the head coach walking towards home. I stand, take off my mask thinking "Alright here it comes." and then he stops and yells over at his team. "He's been calling that pitch all damn day, start swinging at it!!"

Loved it, just smiled to myself and went back to work.