View Single Post
Old Fri Jun 11, 2010, 08:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmara View Post
My partner the other night used this line. The coach kept arguing and he kept using the phrase, it didn't work. The worst part is the umpire let the coach keep going. I was about to step in and shut the coach up but decided to let my partner deal with the situation he created. I was a bad partner but he has to learn where he draws the line.

-Josh
No you weren't... bad that is. You would have been bad if you'd stepped in.

One thing I learned early on - don't tell someone what's going to happen in the future unless you're going to make it happen. ("Coach, one more word and you're gone.") Don't tell someone "That's enough" unless it IS enough, and any more is too much. Try not to make threats - but if you do, carry them through.

Had a partner a long time ago that used this line, "We're not talking about balls and strikes anymore," quite often. Once in a game I was evaluating, he shouted it at a coach, and on the very next pitch, "That's a ball ... OUTside!" (He liked to do this too - annoying really). Old man sitting next to me shouts out, "I thought we weren't talking about balls and strikes anymore!!!!"

Couldn't help but chuckle.

West Houston Mike