View Single Post
Old Mon Jan 13, 2003, 01:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JMN
Agreed. I see where it gets sticky!

So what would we do if:

1) R22 is blocking K19 at the R20. The ball takes a bad bounce away from the B goal line at the R15 and towards the original LOS. It hits R22 in the back as he is blocking K. What do we have if K recovers the ball?
I'd say it depends. Was R pushed into the ball because K was moving him backwards or did the ball simply hit him? Good questions and excellent discussion!(Where's that tounge sticking out icon?

Quote:

2) Now as the ball is bouncing towards the B goal line, it is surrounded by K getting ready to down the ball. R misjudges the roll and as it comes towards him, is blocked (legally) by K into the ball. K recovers the ball. What do we have?
I'd ignore the touching if R was blocked into the ball -- even if he misjudged the direction. The ball is known to take some funny bounces.

I guess I'd phrase the rule this way: If R is moved toward the ball by a block and touches the ball, ignore the touching by R. If R is moving away from the ball and it touches him, the team in possession at the end of the down is awarded a new series. My problem comes in what to do with a stationary player engaged in blocking.....

Anyone else care to chime in? Please.... someone..... save you my sorry butt?