View Single Post
Old Mon Jan 13, 2003, 01:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JMN
Agreed. I see where it gets sticky!

So what would we do if:

1) R22 is blocking K19 at the R20. The ball takes a bad bounce away from the B goal line at the R15 and towards the original LOS. It hits R22 in the back as he is blocking K. What do we have if K recovers the ball?

This is a tuff one and it looks like I'm going to have to climb off my fence. A play like this demands that we use our judgment to determine the cause of the touching . The rule (6-2-4) doesn’t say to ignore the touching if R is blocking. It says to” ignore it if it is caused by K pushing or blocking R into contact with the ball”
Just the fact that R was blocking at the time doesn’t necessarily mean the touching was caused by K pushing or blocking him. IMHO ….I’d probably award the ball to K on this play.
BTW …its plays like this that they pay us the “Big Bucks” (and Derock the “Really Big Bucks” ;^)

[/B][/QUOTE]
2) Now as the ball is bouncing towards the B goal line, it is surrounded by K getting ready to down the ball. R misjudges the roll and as it comes towards him, is blocked (legally) by K into the ball. K recovers the ball. What do we have? [/B][/QUOTE]
This one sounds like a text book “ignore the touching” R’s ball 1/10 clock on the snap!